Little Flower Society was organized by the Italian ladies of our Parish in 1927. St. Teresa is their Patron Saint and they consider themselves as an Altar Society.
Our Little Flower Society was formed in May of 1927 by Italian women in the city of Kamloops who had a deep devotion to the Little Flower of Jesus who was canonized in 1925.
Meetings were held in homes of the members opening with prayers and followed by discussions about how to raise money for Sacred Heart Cathedral. Teas, Raffles, spaghetti and chicken banquets at St. Ann’s, Bazaars and pot luck bingo nights were the pattern of raising monies.
Our first big project was the purchase of the marble altar in our Sanctuary and the biggest project was raising funds for the Church bells which rang on Easter Sunday in 1958. Our projects which we worked for and donated to grace our Cathedral: the linens, the angels on the altar, vestments, ciboria, the hymnals, church pews, kneelers, carpeting, painting, vestments used by the priests and altar boys, Stained Glass Window, the Elevator, nativity scene, final touches in the downstairs kitchen, the bathroom in the rectory, the statue of St. Ann at St. Ann’s and two bursaries of $500 each to students at St. Ann’s, annually, and we continue to assist our parish whatever their needs are.
The most memorable time for us, and the whole Diocese, was on September 28, 2001, the arrival of the Relics of our Patron Saint Therese and we had the honour of decorating the Cathedral.
Little Flower Society has given us a chance to spend time working for our Church, socializing, praying and being with family and friends. We have a membership of 25 and our meetings are held every 2nd Wednesday of the month in the Parish hall. We are an altar society and, looking around the interior of our beautiful Cathedral, very proud of our accomplishments. We are sure the Little Flower has dropped a few petals our way.